After the long holiday, first I want to say Merry Christmas and Happy new year 2014 to you. Today we will learn about 5 Steps Wifi Hacking – Cracking WPA2 Password. A lot of readers send many request regarding how to crack wireless WPA2 password in our request tutorial page.
According to Wikipedia :
The goal of this guide is to create the perfect Mac mini alternative using the Intel NUC Ha des C anyon (NUC8i7HNK/NUC8i7HVK) and macOS. This guide is not for setting up a Hackintosh for any other machine. For a general Hackintosh guide, the Vanilla Hackintosh Guide is highly recommended and is the main source of inspiration for this guide. “Hacking Wifi” sounds really cool and interesting. But actually hacking wifi practically is much easier with a good wordlist. But this world list is of no use until we don’t have any idea of how to actually use that word list in order to crack a hash. And before cracking the hash we actually need to generate it. Terminal app can be daunting at first, but it’s really the best way to hack into your Mac’s configurations and preferences to customize things to work for you rather than against you.
Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and Wi-Fi Protected Access II (WPA2) are two security protocols and security certification programs developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance to secure wireless computer networks. The Alliance defined these in response to serious weaknesses researchers had found in the previous system, WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)
A flaw in a feature added to Wi-Fi, called Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), allows WPA and WPA2 security to be bypassed and effectively broken in many situations. Many access point they have a Wifi Protected Setup enabled by default (even after we hard reset the access point).
1. Wireless card (support promiscuous mode)
In this tutorial I use ALFA AWUS036H from Amazon.
Macos mojave 10.14 install.dmgcleverbridal. This is how I found and dowloaded the base version of Mojave 10.14 and had no issues with the download and install over High Sierra (latest fully updated version). The upgrade link to Mojave in the Ap store that is purposefully placed toward the end of the page so users will read the information Apple needs us to read for a good install. Sep 29, 2018 The Mac OS X Mojave 10.14 is the latest 2018 Mac OS release providing a wide range of powerful features and enhancements. MacOS Mojave 10.14 Review macOS is constantly enhancing, the latest release Mojave 10.14 provides numerous powerful features and enhancements that delivers ultimate control over the apps. Jun 05, 2018 Once signed up for the Apple Developer Program, you can download the developer preview of the macOS Mojave 10.14. Go to the Apple Developer Download Center website and follow the instructions to download and install macOS 10.14 Developer Preview onto your Mac. Oct 30, 2018 The macOS Mojave 10.14.1 update improves the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users. This update: Adds support for Group FaceTime video and audio calls, which support up to 32 participants simultaneously, are encrypted end-to-end for privacy, and can be initiated from a group Messages conversation, or joined at any time during an active call. Sep 27, 2018 Before you begin to download the macOS 10.14 Mojave, you should make sure your Mac can run the software. Apple has said that macOS 10.14 will run on every Mac released from 2012 onwards, which.
2. Access point with WPA2 and WPS enables
5 Steps Wifi Hacking – Cracking WPA2 Password:
1. Open our terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and type airmon-ng (view tips and tricks how to create keyboard shortcut on kali linux)
this command will lists our wireless card that attached with our system.
2. The next step we need to stop our wireless monitor mode by running airmon-ng stop wlan0
3. Now we ready to capture the wireless traffic around us. By running airodump-ng wlan0 our wireless interface will start capturing the data.
From the picture above, we can see many available access point with all the information. In the green box is our victim access point which is my own access point 🙂
BSSID (Basic Service Set Identification): the MAC address of access point
PWR: Signal level reported by the card.
Beacons: Number of announcements packets sent by the AP
#Data: Number of captured data packets (if WEP, unique IV count), including data broadcast packets.
#/s: Number of data packets per second measure over the last 10 seconds.
CH: Channel number (taken from beacon packets).
MB: Maximum speed supported by the AP. If MB = 11, it’s 802.11b, if MB = 22 it’s 802.11b+ and higher rates are 802.11g.
ENC: Encryption algorithm in use.
CIPHER: The cipher detected. TKIP is typically used with WPA and CCMP is typically used with WPA2.
AUTH: The authentication protocol used.
ESSID: Shows the wireless network name. The so-called “SSID”, which can be empty if SSID hiding is activated.
4. From the step 3 above, we can find access point with encryption algorithm WPA2 and note the AP channel number. Now we will find out whether target AP has WPS enabled or not.
wash -i wlan0 -c 8 -C -s
if the WPS Locked status is No, then we ready to crack and move to step 5.
5. The last step is cracking the WPA2 password using reaver.
reaver -i <your_interface> -b <wi-fi victim MAC address> –fail-wait=360
Because we already get the information from step 3 above, so my command look like this:
reaver -i wlan0 -b E0:05:C5:5A:26:94 –fail-wait=360
it took about 5 hours to crack 19 characters WPA2 password (vishnuvalentino.com) from my Kali virtualBox, but it depend with our hardware and wireless card.
1. WPA and WPA2 security implemented without using the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) feature are unaffected by the security vulnerability.
2. To prevent this attack, just turn off our WPS/QSS feature on our access point. See picture below (I only have the Chinese version 😛 )
Notes: Only practice this tutorial on your own lab and your own device. Hacking can be a crime if you don’t know where to put it.
Share this article if you found it was useful:
Blogger at hacking-tutorial.com. Love PHP, offensive security and web. Contact him at me[-at-]vishnuvalentino.com
See all posts by Vishnu Valentino Visit Website : http://www.vishnuvalentino.com
In this hi-tech life, we always need a working internet connection to manage both our professional and personal life. The most comfortable way to access internet everywhere anytime is by buying mobile data recharges but they are very expensive. Another good way to connect to free WiFi if it’s luckily available at your workplace, college or home. But everyone is not that lucky.
Everybody might have many fast WiFi hotspots available in their smartphone’s range, but they don’t have access to those WiFi connections because they are password protected and you don’t have access to them so, you can’t use those WiFi hotspot to access internet in your smartphone or laptop. But, what if you can hack a WiFi?
Yes, I am not joking. What if you can hack any WiFi available in your range and crack it’s password to access free and unlimited internet? IMO, if you can learn a way to hack a WiFi network then you can access free internet everywhere. Right?
So, I am telling you the method to hack a secured WiFi network, crack its password and enjoy free internet using it.
Before moving directly to the methods to hack WiFi networks lets first see what type of security and authentication methods are implemented in WiFi networks.
WiFi Security & Encryption Methods
- Open – This is WiFi networks with no authentication. Anyone in the WiFi range can connect his device to the network without any password in enjoy free internet. However, these networks are rarely available and also risky.
- WEP – Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a security protocol, specified in the IEEE Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) standard, 802.11b, that is designed to provide a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a level of security and privacy comparable to what is usually expected of a wired LAN.
- WPA – WiFi Protected Access (WPA) is improved and more secured security protocol which arrived with lots of improvements in encryption and authentication methods of WEP.
- WPA2 PSK – It is short of Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 – Pre-Shared Key which is the latest and most powerful encryption method used in WiFi networks right now.
Hacking WiFi Networks with WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK Security
As security features have been improved from WEP to WPA to WPA2 PSK WiFi authentication protocol, so obviously, WEP WiFi networks are very easy to hack compared to WPA and WPA2 PSK Security methods.
Almost every password-protected WiFi networks support both WPA/WPA2 PSK authentication. If somebody is already connected to the network, you can check in his network properties to see what encryption-type is being using by the targeted WiFi network.
But if you want to know encryption-type of WiFi network which is not connected to any device in your reach, you need Ubuntu operating system to do this.
In Ubuntu, you can use nmcli command in terminal which is command-line client for NetworkManager. It will show you security types of nearby Wi-Fi access points. Enter the following command in terminal:
It will show you the output like this:
Using the above methods, you should have known the encryption-type of targeted WiFi network which you want to hack. So, I am gonna show you how to hack WiFi Network for each of WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK secured WiFi networks.
Mac Terminal Wifi Hacking
Requirements for Hacking WiFi Netwoks
My methods require KALI Linux which is especially designed Linux distrbution for penetration testing and ethical hacking. You can download it for free from its official site. Download Kali Linux ISO from its website either install it as separate operating system in your system or you can use Virtual Machine/VMware to directly run KALI Linux inside Windows.
You will also need Aircrack-ng which is a security suite to assess WiFi network security. It focuses on different area of WiFi security: monitoring, attacking, testing and cracking.
Another important requirement is to check if your wireless card is compatible with Aircrack-ng or not. Because if it’s not compatible, you need to have an Aircrack-ng compatible card. Check it directly here: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php or run aireplay-ng -9 mon0 command inside terminal to view the percentage of injection your card can do.
Install Aircrack-ng using the following command in KALI LINUX
- sudo apt-cache search aircrack-ng (to seach aircrack-ng or any related repositories)
- sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng (to install aircrack-ng repository)
Fulfill only these requirements and you are ready to hack any WiFi network, whether it is a WEP, WPA or WPA2 PSK Wi-Fi.
Steps to hack WiFi Networks
Starting below, I’ll be guiding you step-by-step in hacking a secured WiFi network. You can either scroll down to read each and every WiFi hacking method or can directly jump to the required section below using these links:
There are various methods to hack into WiFi network and crack its password for all the above security-types but I am showing only those methods with which I’ve had success in cracking password of desired WiFi network and hack secured WiFi Access points. So, if you follow these steps correctly, you’ll also be able to hack any WiFi hotspot available in your reach.
How To Hack WEP WiFi Network
In this method, we are going to hack WEP secured WiFi network using packet injection method inside KALI Linux operating system. So, start KALI Linux in your system. Now follow these below steps:
Step 1: Check Wireless Interface
- Open terminal in Kali Linux and enter the command airmon-ng. It will show you what network interface are you using. In my system, I have only one network interface card wlan0, which is my wireless interface card.
- Create a network interface which runs in monitor mode. To do this enter command airmon-ng start wlan0.Make sure to replace wlan0 in command with the interface name that your card have. Here, mon0 has been created.
- Now, you might or might not get the warning appearing in the below screenshot which tells other processes using the network which can create the problem. So, you can kill them using the syntax: kill PID if you know those processes are not important for you at the moment.
Step 2: Scan available WEP WiFi networks
Mac Terminal Wifi Hacker
- Now, enter the command airodump-ng mon0 to scan & list down all the available WiFi networks using created monitor interface (mon0). It can take time to all the available WiFi networks in range.
- Once the process is done,all the available WiFi access points will appear with their important details: BSSID (WiFi Access Point MAC Address), PWR (Signal strength value; the lower, the better), CH (Channel for WiFi), ENC (Encryption type), AUTH, ESSID (Name of WiFi)
- Select the WiFi network with WEP Encryption (ENC) and lowest PWR value.
Step 3: Attack the selected WEP WiFi Network
- Open another terminal concurrently and enter command: aidodump-ng -c 1 -w bell –bssid 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0. Here, -c 1 indicates channel number which is 1, -w bell is to write data in file “bell”, –bssid 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 is MAC address for my selected WiFi access point and mon0 is monitor interface that was created above. Hit Enter and it will start sending packets (visible in #Data) to the WiFi
- The speed of sending data is very slow but you need to escalate it by attacking the WEP WiFi network. First enter the command airplay-ng -1 0 -a 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0 to perform fake authentication (-1 in command) to the network.
- Now we will perform ARP REPLAY Attack to the WiFi network to climb the data to the network at enormous rate. Useairplay-ng -3 -b 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0, where -3 is for ARP REPLAY attack. Hit enter and the command will start doing attack to WEP WiFi Access point and you can see the #Data value increasing at enormously fast rate.
- In below screenshot the bell-01.cap is the file where data is being stored that we will use to crack the password of this WEP WiFi network once we have enough data (recommended #Data value should be over 35,000).
- Once you have enough data in the file bell-01.cap, run the command aircrack-ng bell-01.cap. It will test all the data values available in key file and automatically show you the key it found by testing data in file.
- You can see in above screenshot that we have successfully cracked the password of targeted WEP WiFi network
- The key found will not be in those text or alphanumeric format that the WiFi owner has created. It will be in hex format but work just fine.
- Now, to use this key, firstly start the processes you have killed in Step 1 above using the command I have used below.
- Finally enter the cracked key 61:32:58:94:98 (without colon) as the password of targeted WEP WiFi Network and it will be connected.
Steps to Hack WPA/WPA2 Secured WiFi Network
Hacking into WPA/WPA2 WiFi Network is very tough, time & resource consuming. The technique used to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi password is 4-way handshake for which there is a requirement to have at least one device connected to the network.
In WPA/WPA2 security method, the allowed password can have both large and small alphabets, numbers and symbols. And, allowed size of password is 64 characters. On a rough guess, if we consider password to be only 8 characters long and eliminate the use of symbols even then if you want to crack WPA or WPA2 WiFi password, using the brute force method the password combinations will be: 826+26+10=62 which is equals to:
So, even in fastest computer you can manage to use, it’s going to take hours.
Aircrack-ng have all the tools required to crack into WPA/WPA2 PSK WiFi network. It can perform 4-way handshake by disconnecting/connecting the connected device and capturing WPA handshake. It can perform brute-force attack but you can’t hope to crack the password if you have wordlist/dictionary for the password (which is already too big in size) with password inside it. I hate to tell you this but yes, doing it on your own can take forever.
However, there is a tricky way to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi Password quickly which only requires you to be a bit lucky. The tool is fluxion. Fluxion use same 4-way handshake technique to crack secured WPA/WPA2 WiFi access points password but it doesn’t require you to have dictionary or perform brute force attack. So yes, it’s going to minimize your time to hack WPA or WPA2 WiFi networks password multiple folds.
Instead of doing this, it performs a little bit of phishing where the already connected user is asked to enter password of WiFi network again for security reason and when the user enter the password, first the handshake is checked with the earlier captured handshake of the device, if handshake is correct that means the password entered by user is correct. Once it is successful, Fluxion returns the key required to authenticate the network.
Steps to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi Password using Fluxion
- Scan the networks.
- Capture a handshake (can’t be used without a valid handshake, it’s necessary to verify the password)
- Use WEB Interface *
- Launch a FakeAP instance to imitate the original access point
- Spawns a MDK3 process, which deauthenticates all users connected to the target network, so they can be lured to connect to the FakeAP and enter the WPA password.
- A fake DNS server is launched in order to capture all DNS requests and redirect them to the host running the script
- A captive portal is launched in order to serve a page, which prompts the user to enter their WPA password
- Each submitted password is verified by the handshake captured earlier
- The attack will automatically terminate, as soon as a correct password is submitted
I can understand that not all readers will be able to implement the method after reading such summarized version on hacking WPA/WPA2 PSK WiFi Network. So, below is the video tutorial on cracking WPA2 WiFi Access Point password using Fluxion.
Mac Terminal Wifi Hack
Mac Terminal Hack Wifi Password
Comments below if you face any problem in hacking WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK WiFi Networks using the above methods.
Must Read –How To Hack a Website using SQL Injection